OHA SOUP… a delicacy from the ‘Igbo Land’February 14, 2017
Oil-Less Efo-Riro with Pumpkin Leaves(Ugwu)March 30, 2017
Do you love to keep Sunday Lunch Special? Do you dislike washing many dishes after cooking? Â Do you like trying new and fun recipes? Are you thinking of treating that special someone to a special lunch?
If one or all of your answers are YES, then this One Pot Oven Baked Rice and Chicken Recipe is for you. It literally takes about an hour (prep + cook time) , this meal got bursting flavors all round…Gosh..the meal was too good.
I made this meal for my parents and I was really glad they enjoyed every bite of it.
Ingredients for Chicken
- 6 Chicken thighs
- Fresh Parsley leaves
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- Black pepper
- Scotch bonnet (ata rodo)
- Lemon zest (from a whole lemon)
- Lemon juice (from a whole lemon)
- Seasoning cubes
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil
Ingredients for Rice
- One and half cups of Basmati Rice
- Scotch bonnet, chopped
- Onions, chopped
- Yellow bell peppers, thinly sliced
- Garlic, chopped
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Lemon zest (optional)
Ingredients for Sauce(Optional)
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
- Chili pepper (HOT)
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 2 tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- A pinch of cornstarch
- Season Chicken and marinate for 2 hours or more -(preferably overnight)
- In a wok or pan, heat 2 tbsp of coconut oil and sear the chicken. Set aside
Note:– Allow about 3 minutes on each side. You don’t want the chicken under-cooked, and since it, still going into the oven, you don’t want it overcooked as well. basically, 4 minutes on each side would do and allow the juices to run clear.
- Remove Chicken from the pan, pour the juice in a bowl and clean out the dirt with kitchen wipes.
- Place pan back on heat, heat up a spoon of coconut oil
- SauteÃ© Â onions, garlic and peppers for about 3 minutes
- Stir in basmati rice and fry for about 2 minutes
- Add the chicken broth and the juice from the pan seared chicken
- Adjust taste, add seasoning cubes and salt to taste, lemon zest.Â Note:-Depending on the quantity of the chicken broth, you may or may not require to add some water. In my case, I had about 1 cup of chicken broth, so i added about half cup of water, but not all at the same time…(I would explain further, please read on) For now, add water of about a quarter of a cup.
- Allow the mixture to simmer(bring to boil) for about 4 minutes. While this is ongoing, heat up the oven, 200 degree Celsius
- Place chicken on the mixture and toss pot into the oven(place on the medium rack)
- Now, all you have to do is PRAY……hahaha, just kidding
- Allow to bake for about 40 minutes. During the first 15 minutes, check at intervals and taste the rice. then you can add some water and continue to bake until rice is well cooked.
- Garnish with parsley and squeeze some lemon juice…This basically pops the flavors…It was toooo good.
Oh, I almost forgot the sauce
- In a small pan, stir in all the ingredients
- Continue to stir until the mixture is a bit thick.
- Garnish the dish with the sauce…and ENJOY
See Pictorial Video Recipe below